We all have the right to die with dignity, and as an end-of-life doula, I provide emotional support to the dying and physical assistance to their caregivers.
End-of-Life Doulas are non-medical companions to the dying and their families. Doulas do not take the place of hospice personnel; rather, they complement other services that a dying person and their family may be receiving, including hospice or palliative care. They provide a wide range of holistic services, including physical, emotional, spiritual and practical support working with families from initial diagnosis through bereavement.
Using well-honed, instinctive listening, I offer spiritual and psychological support to those with challenging health issues or serious illnesses and assist with a person’s end-of-life journey and transition.
I assist in quieting the person’s mind beyond the present challenge in this fearful situation to find peace, reflection and comfort.
The process includes:
• Reflect on life, facilitate dialogue, and move from hopelessness to meaning through exploration.
• Mediation and advocacy honouring the dying person’s wishes
• Creating a safe space for family dynamics, grief, and forgiveness
• Provide family members with reassurance about expectations to help reduce uncertainty.
• Emotional support and companionship by having someone consistent through this process
• Legacy support ensures the patient’s thoughts, hopes, and experiences are memorialized by creating something tangible that your loved ones can treasure.
• Education, information and resources give an idea of what to expect to help reduce uncertainty.
• Respite for caregivers by assisting with physical and practical care easing the burden.
• Vigil planning making sure that the patient's specific needs are being met
I offer in-person meetings, and phone or video calls - Hourly rate $60
Let's discuss what your needs are and I will build a customised support package.